Saturday, January 16, 2010

Right on a Wrong-Way Street

I'm definitely not losing it. Driving the wrong way down a one way street is such stereotypical behavior for senior citizens, which, by the way, I'm not. Remember, 60 is the new 59 and 1/2.

I was overtaxed and over burdened. I had a lot on my mind. I wasn't used to this way home because, being overtaxed and over burdened, I'd missed my exit, which, being Atlanta, I think they moved. The stupid driver in front of me had his stupid turn signal on, making me move into his lane because that's what I wanted to do - turn. Then he (I'm pretty sure it was a he, being that he did something so stupid) wimped out and carried on, going straight ahead.

So, apparently, I turned onto a one-way street that just happened to be going the one way I wasn't going. And, adding to the problem was that it wasn't just a little street. It was a big old four-lane boulevard with all lanes looking at me as I carefully made my way, both hands on the wheel at 11 and 3, in the far right lane, which turned out to be the far left lane going the other way.

The happy part of this story is I'm still here. The sad part is nobody shot me the bird, nobody screamed obscenities, nobody feigned a near-death collision. One person did politely tap on his horn and point, not with his bird finger, the way I was supposed to be going.

But I don't think the other drivers' politeness was because they were saying something like, "Oh look at the old lady driving the wrong way, I don't want to scare her and make her have a heart attack" or anything like that. I think it's because they were so impressed by the fact that I was driving so carefully, not to mention slowly, up the down-only Juniper Street in Atlanta, during rush hour traffic.

No comments:

Falalala Lalalala

  A couple of weekends ago, Joe and I, along with our friend Janice, attended a Christmas concert performed by the Marietta Pops Orchestra, ...